For the Press
Christine McDonnell is the author of ten books for children: picture books, chapter books, middle grade, and young adult novels. In addition to writing she worked as a children’s librarian at the New York Public Library where she was trained by Augusta Baker and learned puppetry from Pura Belpré.
In the Brookline (Mass.) Public Schools she taught grades 6-12, worked as a school librarian, and was part of the teacher training team at Facing History and Ourselves, a curriculum project focused on the Holocaust. At the Simmons College Center for the Study of Children’s Literature she designed community programs in children’s books and taught graduate classes in children’s literature.
A reviewer and critic of children’s books, she has written for School Library Journal, The Horn Book Magazine and The Christian Science Monitor. Her column, “New Voices, New Visions,” appeared in The Horn Book Magazine.
A graduate of Barnard College and the Columbia University School of Library Service, she received an MFA from Hamline University.
- “Q & A with Christine McDonnell,” Patricia J. Murphy, Publishers Weekly, 22 August 2022
- “Really Rosie’s Place,” Kate Tuttle, Boston Globe, 10 March 2022
- Video: “Christine McDonnell & Victoria Tentler-Krylov: Virtual Conversation with the Author,” hosted by Buttonwood Books & Toys, interviewed by Mal Stanton McCunney, Director of Marketing & Events, School on Wheels of Massachusetts, 1 March 2022
- “Five Questions for Christine McDonnell and Victoria Tentler-Krylov,” The Horn Book, 16 February 2022
- “Interview of Christine McDonnell and Jeanette Bradley,” Writers’ Rumpus, 12 April 2021
- “Librarian to the Rescue! Christine McDonnell, Jeanette Bradley, and When the Babies Came to Stay,” Nancy Churnin, 2 April 2020
- “Christine McDonnell on Sanctuary: Kip Tiernan and Rosie’s Place, the Nation’s First Shelter for Women,” Christine McDonell, The Teaching Books Blog, 24 May 2022
- “Books: My Connecting Thread,” Christine McDonnell, The Nerdy Book Club, 6 April 2022
- “The Soaring Imagination of Uri Shulevitz,” Christine McDonnell, Bookology, 30 March 2021
- “What Makes a Good Read-Aloud for Middle Graders?” Christine McDonnell, The Horn Book Magazine, 1 January 2010
- “Safe Passages: What Makes a Good Early-Expert-Book Reader?” Christine McDonnell, The Horn Book Magazine, 1 November 2008